Tuesday, December 1, 2015

I'm Thankful For....

Happy belated Thanksgiving Everyone!! This Thanksgiving was very different than any Thanksgiving I've ever had. Instead of the normal traditional Thursday Thanksgiving with mom's side of the family and traditional crazy Saturday Thanksgiving at my Uncle B and Aunt P's house with my dad's side of the family, I had a working week and two of my own Thanksgiving celebrations. It is at times like these where the culture is so different that most people do not even know what Thanksgiving is and you have to explain about the pilgrims and the indians that you tend to be homesick.

I'm not going to lie, this week was really difficult. This week was the first time I truly felt homesick and couldn't be comforted. It was the first time I have missed a big holiday with my family and I don't know if I will want to do it again. But although it was a wee bit lonely I was able to talk and see everyone over skype. I got to see all my family together and was thankful that they are alive and well and safe and that they were all happy! Although Thanksgiving wasn't exactly how it always is, I am thankful for what I am doing here in Scotland and I am thankful for all the people here who were around to help me celebrate.

So here is a list with pictures of all the things I am thankful for this year so far!

1) My crazy wonderful friends from Oregon




2) My lovely and extremely supportive mom(Lisa) and dad(Chris)

3) My inspirational sister(Erica) and her goofy fiancĂ©(Dave) 
4) My Flatmates here in Scotland: Laura Kate, Amanda, Sam, and Iona





5) Beautiful places to Hike and Scotland as a country in general





6) The opportunity to be a Young Adult Volunteer(YAV) this year

7) My fellow YAVs across the world, especially my fellow UK YAVs


8) The Watch Ashore Ladies who come into the cafe every other Wednesday. I thank these ladies for making me feel like I have a few extra moms around and for their kindness and hospitality they have given me over the last three months. 

9) The opportunity to celebrate Thanksgiving in a new country and the yummy American food we prepared for our guests. And the much needed advice from my mom on how to cook the dishes prepared.



10) My amazing supportive Site Coordinator Lynn and all the hard work she does

11) My extended Family on both sides



12) My good health and happiness


13) And last but definitely not least, God for all the amazing things he has done and will continue to do in my life. 


















1 comment:

  1. This is amazing!!! So many things to be thankful for. Also highlights one of the best parts about your personality - how important people are in your life and your work. I can't speak for everyone, but I can speak for Dave and I, and we really missed you at Thanksgiving but are really thankful to have you as a sister and are really proud of all the work you are doing in Scotland! Your positivity and gratitude are inspiring. Love you wuge!

    xoxo,

    Erica

    ReplyDelete