Friday, September 11, 2015

A Piece of Home

The last few days of orientation have been less crazy but just as interesting. On Saturday we took a trip with Lynn our site coordinator, her husband Rory, and her colleague, Noel to the Falls of Clyde and New Lanark. New Lanark is a place where Robert Owen had a cotton mill and all the workers lived on the property. It was one of the first factories that cared about its workers well being. We went on a beautiful hike (hill walk) through greenery to the Falls of Clyde. It was so nice to get out of the city for the day and to explore. The hike looked exactly how I’d picture Scotland would be. It had rolling hills with sheep, and there were parts of the walk that were under the trees, next to the river. It made me think of Oregon and reminded me of home, which was really nice.

On Sunday we split up and went to the church services at our respective placement sites. I went to my placement site, which is Gorbals and they were having a Baptism. It was the most well behaved baby I have ever seen. After I went out to lunch with my minister, Ian, and two former American volunteers, Paul and Gail. They had volunteered here in Glasgow for five years and now they’re back in town for a few weeks to visit. It was also nice to be around some other Americans and hear their stories about their time here.

The week continued with meeting more new people and learning more about Scottish culture and how the Church of Scotland works. Then on Monday night we had dinner at Lynn’s.  Noel made Indian curry that was absolutely delicious.


Me eating my first real Scotland scone at the ICafe where we are currently using internet. 


Tuesday I got another feel of home here in Glasgow. I went on a run to find a park near our flat. It was a huge park with tons of different pathways to explore. I wasn’t quite sure where I was going, but I ended up finding this path next to a river. It was covered with trees, and you could hear the water rushing next to the path. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes and could envision myself back in Eugene running next to the Willamette River through the trees. Although I am having the most wonderful time it is nice to know that even being half way around the world I can still find pieces of home in this city.

Fr. Greg Boyle and the roomies. (Left to right: Me, Laura Kate, Fr. Greg Boyle, Sam, Amanda)


Tuesday night we went to a free talk at St. Aloysius’ College. Fr. Greg Boyle SJ was speaking about Homeboy Industries, the largest gang prevention organization in the United States that he founded. They now have 10 social enterprises running in Los Angeles, California.  I read his book, Tattoos on the Heart, a year ago and loved it so much that when I found out he would be speaking here I really wanted to attend it. He exceeded my expectations! He is a phenomenal speaker and a lot of what he said gave me insight on this coming year and the work I will be doing.

One of the things he said that stuck with me most was that “if you think you can save people you will burn out.” He told the audience to just walk alongside the people we are working with when doing service and don’t try to save them. It was also interesting because he said Homeboy Industries doesn’t help people that don’t want their help. He was hilarious but also sincere and at times during the talk I had tears in my eyes. If he ever comes to speak near where you live, I highly suggest attending.

He also challenged us with the question of “how can you help the wounded if you do not welcome your own wounds?” He suggested, “we blur the line between service provider and service receiver.” The last thing I will leave you all with is that we all “stand in awe of what the poor have to carry, not in judgment of how they carry it.”

Blessings,

Julie

My view walking back from work across the River Clyde



No comments:

Post a Comment