Friday, October 23, 2015

Seeing Progress in Little Ways


This week marks the 7 week mark, which doesn't seem like a long time but in the eyes of a toddler it can be a very long time. Every Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday I spend time with toddlers and parents either at the toddler group or at the drop in session with Bridging the Gap. 

The first week, some of the toddlers wouldn't even look at me and they clung to their mums. But since I have been a steady face every week, they are starting to get more comfortable with me. This week was a milestone when multiple toddlers played with me and wanted to sing next to me at the different sessions. I can see their growth in just 7 weeks and it gives me hope that just as they are getting comfortable with me over time, I too will become more and more comfortable with my life here in Glasgow and my place in the different work I do. 

On Tuesday one of my favorite kids, and yes I do have a few favorites, who is really quiet even said goodbye to me and was laughing and screaming with happiness during the running around time of toddlers group. Another one of my favorites is a little baby and the first week she wouldn't leave her mom and over the last few weeks she has been crawling on her own and playing on her own. Last week she still wanted her mum in view while playing but this week she was completely on her own crawling around playing near me, not even looking at her mum. It was a proud moment and I can't wait for moments like these even if they seem small. A lot of these kids are foreign and don't speak much English but to see them playing with each other and laughing is a wonderful sight!

Blessings, 
Julie

1 comment:

  1. I wish there was a like button on here. Sometimes I don't really have anything intelligent to say in response but I still want to like the post. So here is me liking your post :)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete